You’ll just simply be amazed by the versatility of the pistachio paste. This silky, smooth edible with a vibrant green colour has several uses – flavour enhancer for ice cream, buttercreams and mousses, topping for crostini, filling for chocolate confections and fruit tarts, as a bread spread, etc. You can even eat the paste as it is since it’s loaded with flavour besides containing fewer calories.
So, what goes well with pistachios? Well, food experts in Australia say these are the flavours compatible with these nuts of the cashew family – rose water, orange blossom water, dried fruits like raisins, apricots and dates, citrus, chocolate of whatever colour, plus many others.
Appetising Recipes with Pistachio Paste
Below are just 3 of the many recipes you can prepare that no big foodie can say no to:
- Ice Cream with Pistachio
¾ c whole milk
⅔ c granulated sugar
a pinch of salt
1 ½ c heavy cream, divided
4 whole egg yolks
1 cup pistachio paste as an addition (homemade or bought)
- In a saucepan, heat (not boil) together milk, sugar, salt and only a half cup of the heavy cream.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and toss in only ⅛ cup of the warm milk mixture.
- Blend well then add the yolk mixture into the remaining warm milk mixture.
- Using medium heat, stir continuously until thickened. Turn off the heat.
- In a separate bowl, pour 1 cup of cream and add all of the pistachio paste.
- Using a strainer above the bowl of the cream-paste blend, pour the hot milk-egg mixture over. Blend well.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 to 5 hours or overnight.
- Pasta-Veggie Salad with Pistachio
1 pc large onion, thinly sliced
5 pcs ripe small-sized tomatoes, cut in halves
1 large cucumber, diced
1 c snap peas
1 pack 60g spiral pasta cooked according to instructions
1 c pistachio paste
1 c vegan pesto sauce
1 c olives to garnish
Parsley leaves to garnish
Note: Anyone who loves veggie salad may add any vegetable and garnishing of their choice.
- Toss pistachio paste and vegan pesto sauce into the cooked pasta.
- Add the rest of the salad veggies. Blend well. Garnish with olives and parsley.
- Chicken Sandwich with Pistachio
3 pcs chicken breasts, skin removed
1 c mayonnaise
2 tbsp sour cream
3 tbsp pistachio, chopped
2 tbsp chives, thinly sliced
1 sprig of rosemary, fresh
pistachio paste to taste
salt and pepper to taste
butter at room temperature to taste
12 slices of bread, crust removed
- Fill the saucepan with water enough to cover the chicken breasts and toss in salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil, then add chicken.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, covered.
- Remove from heat then let it cool for 10 minutes.
- When cool, drain the chicken and shred.
- In a bowl, mix chicken, sour cream, mayonnaise, nuts and chives.
- Add pistachio paste and butter to taste.
- Spread generously on bread slices.
There are still tasty recipes you can whip up with pistachio paste as one of the ingredients. To make sure you get high-quality products, check out this link and it leads you to where to buy pistachio paste in Sydney.